The Parish Growth Framework
Building Block: Wellbeing
Strategic Goal: Develop a holistic clergy wellbeing framework and related support mechanisms.
Timeline of progress
- A Clergy Wellbeing Development Group was established in 2019. The group has determined a definition of wellbeing and identified five domains of wellbeing:
- Health and energy
- Relationship and connection
- Material and financial resources
- Agency and structures
- Spirituality and vocation.
- Curated resources are being developed for each of the five domains of wellbeing.
- A wellbeing survey of clergy over the age of 65 was conducted in June 2020. The survey highlighted that, while this group of clergy generally feel valued and their wellbeing is good, there are certain areas that require attention.
- In response to the wellbeing survey, a series of clergy retirement webinars was offered in 2020 and 2021.
- Clergy in the Deanery of Brisbane North East are piloting a ‘group coaching’ technique to help manage difficult or demanding people-related situations.
- Communication about clergy wellbeing is increasing and becoming more intentional.
- The Clergy Wellbeing Development Group is exploring ways to monitor clergy wellbeing, including considering international benchmarks and existing data points.
- The Clergy Wellbeing Development Group is currently developing a survey to explore the wellbeing needs to clergy in the established phase of ministry.