Thank you to all those who are serving God and their local church community through the Office of Churchwarden. Churchwardens play a crucial role in the health and wellbeing of parishes.
Election/appointment and duties
Churchwardens are elected or appointed to Office in accordance with Section 33 of the Parishes Regulation Canon (a similar provision exists for The Cathedral under the Cathedral Congregation Canon). The duties and responsibilities of Churchwardens are outlined under Section 59 of the Parishes Regulation Canon.
Churchwardens should be familiar with the following information:
- The Diocesan Handbook
- Faithfulness in Service: A national code for personal behaviour and the practice of pastoral ministry by clergy and church workers
- Policies and procedures for safe ministry to children
- Child protection training requirements
- Qualification, credentialing and character check requirements for recruiting clergy, employees and volunteers
- Policies and procedures for work health and safety